Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Overshadow

The last few years, I have subscribed to SweetGeorgia Yarns Lace Club. Finances have changed and I will not be purchasing the 2016 subscription, but since I haven't used all of my club yarns yet anyway, I still have quite a few luscious lace yarns in my stash. And today, I get to add one more beauty. The fourth quarter shipment arrived today and I couldn't love this one any more than I do!

This particular colorway is designed by a gifted ceramics and wood artist from Hong Kong named Ray Tse. He is on Instagram as @raytse_art and you can also visit him at his website. In the letter where he talked about his color story, he writes about how "Overshadow" is the expression of his wistful reminiscence for Christmases past with his family in Hong Kong, even while enjoying the last seven Christmases with the close friendships that he has formed in Vancouver. He says that the "hints of red and green are representing the fun, higher energy celebration with friends during Christmas time. However, the blue and violet tone symbolize my yearning for my family; it "overshadows" the fun of new experiences." He continues the letter to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and tell us the exciting news that he will be spending Christmas with his family next year when he finally goes home.


What a sweet letter! Ray, I don't know if you will read this (in fact, I highly doubt it), but your color story is as beautiful as the colorway that you have created. I can definitely relate to missing my family over the holidays from the years that I have spent holidays separated from my loved ones when I served in the Marine Corps. I am happy that next year, you will be with your family and I hope you have a Merry Christmas too!

I cannot decide exactly what to make with this lovely skein of SweetGeorgia Yarns CashSilk Lace, but I have a few ideas:

1. CashSilk Fern Scarf by Felicia Lo. This scarf seems to be a lace pattern that works well with hand-dyed variegated yarn. Plus, it is a free pattern.
2. Almost Ovals Scarf by Anne Hanson. I think that this scarf could work well with this colorway as well and Anne's designs are always a treat to knit.
3. Twinkle Kerchief by Sachiko Uemura. I have been wanting to try my hand at knitting with beads. This could be a great little project to give it a go.
4. Traveling Cable Mittens by Olga Rych. I have this magazine and I also have a thing for mittens after my recently knitting my first pair and loving them.
5. Sand and Sea Shawlette by Alana Dakos. I could probably find something in my stash for the trim, or else do this all in this colorway... It is a lovely shawlette!

Decisions, decisions! But since I am finishing up a couple of hats first, I can take some time to ponder it. Right now, I am leaning towards one of the scarves, but those mittens, that kerchief, and that shawlette are still calling to me.

2 comments:

  1. This yarn looks absolutely delicious! It would make any project a masterpiece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it is beautiful and seems to have soul because of the color story. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete

I truly appreciate your comments and will reply to them here on my blog. My only rule is to be nice. I will delete anything that is mean-spirited, obscene, spammy, or in any other way "not nice."