Saturday, February 6, 2016

Brioche

Finished Objects:
January is over. It looks like I didn't knit ANYTHING, but I did manage to squeeze in a pair of mittens. Unfortunately, the rules are no sneak peaks until the designer releases the pattern, but they are pretty neat mittens. I used a skein of Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool Worsted in the colorway Roasted Pumpkin from my stash to knit them and I still have one skein left. The yarn was wonderful and wooly!

Works in Progress:
I also attempted to knit some Funkasonic Mittens but failed miserably. I ripped out over and over and over and could not get the two color brioche ribbing on the cuff. I followed the designer's instructions and watched the video repeatedly, but got nowhere with it. Throwing my hands up, I decided to set those aside and see what I could learn about Brioche. I happen to have a class on Crafsy taught by Nancy Marchant on Brioche Knitting that I bought a while ago and never watched. Nancy has students practicing the brioche with one color on a swatch first. I pulled out a REALLY old ball of Cascade Ecological Wool from my stash and tried it. I seemed to be getting it! After much consideration, I decided that I needed a single color brioche project first, so I ripped out my swatch and rolled it back up into a ball and cast on for a trusty scarf. I looked at Purl Soho's Brioche Scarf, but I wanted to keep using my yarn and not a fingering weight yarn. I also didn't care for the rolled stockingette edge on this scarf. I did like the selvages though, so I decided to wing it.

I cast on 33 stitches using the Old Norwegian sock cast-on (which I learned from the Funkasonic KAL... at least I got that part!) using my Cascade Ecological Wool on 5.5mm needles. I knit the first five rows in one-by-one ribbing, while maintaining the first three and last three stitches as selvages. Then, I tried out some single color brioche ribbing while still maintaining the selvages. After, some practice, I think I am getting the hang of it! It is a slow-growing scarf, but I am enjoying knitting it. My plan is just to knit until the ball is almost out and then end with 5 rows of ribbing like I did at the beginning.

I am so glad to be learning something new, using up some of my stash, and making a scarf that will likely get blocked and packaged up for a gift to one of my brothers, nephews, or son. The recipient of the scarf will depend on the length that I can achieve from this ball of wool. I will package it up as a gift for whomever it best suits in height.


New Acquisitions:
I am not buying any more yarn this year, but I do have a PostStitch subscription and the February box was pretty awesome. I got a skein of YarnLove's Joan of Arc in the colorway Rhubarb. It is a 50% superwash merino and 50% tencel fingering weight yarn with a good twist, beautiful sheen, and wonderful deep pink color. The pattern that came with the box is Dark Valentine by Ambah O'Brien. There are three sizes available, but our box gives us enough yarn (plus some Chiagoo Red Lace circular needles in the size called for in the pattern) to make the single skein scarf. There were also some lovely pink and gold stitch markers from Dreaming Alice, a sample of SOAK rinseless soap, Anywhere Hand Balm from Love + Leche, and an adorable set of 4 Valentine's Day Cards! What a fantastic box for February!

10 comments:

  1. beautiful brioche! It's such a soft, squishy fabric. And how amazing are those knitterly valentines, I adore them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Valentines made my day! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Love this brioche - looks so textured! And these cards are just adorable!!! I would love to get all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am having fun learning something new with this scarf. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ady! Haha, cute Valentines, and what a lovely colour that skein of yarn is. I'm a crocheter and have also made a pact with myself that there'll be no new yarn until I use up some of what I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more yarn than I have room in my house so I am stash knitting only this year. That color is awesome for Valentine's Day, I think.

      Delete
  4. Way to learn new skills! I haven't tried brioche yet but of course want too. I love your Valentines! xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Single color, flat, and no increasing or decreasing was way easier for me for my first brioche. I think I could move on from here now that I have the stitch down. :) Thank you for you thoughtful comment!

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments and will reply to them here on my blog. My only rule is to be nice. I will delete anything that is mean-spirited, obscene, spammy, or in any other way "not nice."