Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Work-In-Progress Wednesday: Twinkle Kerchief

After finishing of my Arika cowl for the TFA KAL, I reached for my special skein of SweetGeorgia Cashsilk Lace that I talked about here. I wound it up into a ball, found a tube of beads that I had been keeping in my notions bag to try beading one day, and cast on for the Twinkle Kerchief by Sachiko Uemura. I have both never knit linen stitch and never knit with beads. Doing both in dark colored lace weight is a bit daunting, but I am enjoying it so far and am 20% done (in stitch count, not size) after only a couple days of knitting on it. I expect that, given enough time this weekend to dedicate to my new WIP, I may even have this project finished next week! I love how the colors in this skein work with half linen stitch and I love how the beads sparkle on the darker background. The beads are simple seed beads. Size 6 and clear in color. The pattern is simple enough, but dark, skinny yarn has leant justification for a few mistakes and I have been fudging it a little. Still, I think it will be very pretty. And now that I have made a spreadsheet with stitch counts and started using a lifeline, maybe I will have to fudge a bit less.


In book news, I just finished When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams. This book has awesome reviews and most people like it. I am going to decline to comment though since I really haven't got anything nice to say. It just isn't my cup of tea. I also just started Helen Oyeyemi's book of short stories, What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours. She is one of my favorite writers. I am enjoying the stories so far, but I do like her novels better. Still, prose in Miss Oyeyemi's hand is always flawless. She is hands down one of the best writers I have ever read!

You can find my knitting projects on Ravelry under the user name grafovna. You can find my reading habits documented on Goodreads. Happy Wednesday!

Joining in today, for the first time, with Ginny's Yarn Along.

18 comments:

  1. really pretty yarn - with the beads entwined in it! I've not done beading yet! Maybe one day....

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stringing the beads takes a bit of time, but it really is as simple as sliding the bead down the yarn when the pattern says to do it. It is my first time knitting with beads too. I think that sliding the beads all over the yarn fuzzes up the yarn a bit though. I am worried about the yarn breaking, but it seems to be holding up so far.

      Delete
  2. its really beautiful, such pretty colors.....the beads make it so special!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! I'm excited to have my first beaded project.

      Delete
  3. The yarn with those beads are so pretty. I popped over to see the pattern. Be sure to show us the finished product. I have some yarn that I think would work nicely in a pattern like that.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely show the finished product. It is a nice pattern that would work well with a variety of yarns.

      Delete
  4. I've never knit with beads either, but it's definitely something I want to try. And those colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! It's easier than you think!

      Delete
  5. love the beads in your knitting, it adds a bit of sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that shawl looks amazing, and yay for trying new things! he beads really add a special something. I just picked up Boy, Snow, Bird and Mr. Fox by Oyeyemi. I haven't read anything of hers but I've heard such good things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Boy, Snow, Bird. I have also read Mr. Fox. It was a little more cerebral, but great if read slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wanted to try knitting with beads! I think it is such a great idea to incorporate more texture in your knitting. Your yarn looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving the beads so far. It is easy and beautiful! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Love the beads; it's nice to have a bit of bling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow have never tried beads--but this is coming out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! I love the sparkle against the dark yarn, it will be a fun piece to wear. Definitely with the linen stitch you can get away with some fudging lol

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments and will reply to them here on my blog. My only rule is to be nice. I will delete anything that is mean-spirited, obscene, spammy, or in any other way "not nice."